NAB India Center for Blind Women & Disability Studies (a unit of NAB India Mumbai), was set up in 2002, based on the research findings of a study on “Status of Blind Women in India” carried out by NAB and Asian Blind Union, Ms. Anuradha Mohit (presently Director, NIVH) and Ms. Shalini Khanna (Presently Hony. Secy, NAB Center). The study brought to light the deeper vulnerabilities and the state of deprivation for blind women residing across the country. Poverty clubbed with blindness for a woman made her an absolute social & family outcast which needed a different approach for rehabilitation and hence came into being the NABCBW & Disability studies.
Our Unique Approach
NAB India CBW & Disability Studies is one of its kind Center for empowerment and rehabilitation of blind women in India. It’s also the only center to conduct job mapping studies for blind in India. The Center provides training to both educated and uneducated visually impaired women with the objective of enabling them to gain employment, take up higher education and regain their career after a gap (due to late onset of blindness). The Centre is busy enabling Livelihood Creation for the visually impaired (VI) women by empowering them with skills and training that help them lead a life of dignity and socio-economic independence.
Making it Possible
Rehabilitation of women
- The center has rehabilitated more than 700 women thus far by providing improved quality of life with the aid of state-of- art vocational trainings
- We ensure professional career oriented education for the blind girls for utilizing maximum potential.
Skilling & Vocational Training
- We have been able to achieve employment of VI women in diverse fields and roles such as Quality Analyst, Market Research, reception counters in offices etc.
- VI women in the Center run and manage a fully equipped Café, creating avenues for VI women in self-employment by making them entrepreneurs in the long run.
- We also run a successful handicraft unit which trains VI Women in basic handwork to gain employment in relevant fields later
- The center undertakes Job mapping for the blind in various industries across the country in partnership with America India Foundation’s ABLE.
- Job mapping at an export house opened up pioneering employments in export houses for the VI women.
Research & Advocacy
- We’ve been an integral Research Partner & Disability Inclusion Consultant with ERNET (Ministry of IT) and various national and international development agencies on researches and disability studies since 2008.